I don't know all of the details to the Trayvon Martin case,
but what I do know is that what happened is sad and also scarey.
When we adopted Drew and Paige we knew they would face
racism at some point, and in turn we would experience it as a family too.
Right now they are young and everyone we encounter
comments on their cuteness, so racism has not been an issue
for them or us yet but we are not naive enough to think
it will not happen. We know it will happen.
We hope we can teach our children and prepare ALL of
our children for when these times come.
Right now they are young and everyone we encounter
comments on their cuteness, so racism has not been an issue
for them or us yet but we are not naive enough to think
it will not happen. We know it will happen.
We hope we can teach our children and prepare ALL of
our children for when these times come.
Today my son was sitting on my lap as I read this post and
I could not help but give him a little squeeze and say a silent prayer
that he would be protected.
Like Mrs. R wrote, in 10 or 15 years
my son will look like the men and boys in this video too.
Will he seem suspicious when he is wearing a hoody?
Will he be put in danger because of the color of his skin?
Will he be put in danger because of the color of his skin?
After hearing Trayvon Martin's story... it scares me that he will.



Yeah I just read the R house blog today too and it is a scary world we are living in. If/when we adopt again, we are hoping for a black baby so I guess we may be facing those fears too.
ReplyDelete